Obsolete, Postcards? They’ve become so much more than what you used to send your grandma from summer camp. Postcards are a great canvas for a wide variety of promotional and marketing uses. Direct mail is just the tip of the iceberg! From mini-artworks to menus and event handouts, these versatile cards are the perfect ally for your campaigns.
But what Postcard size should you choose to promote your brand? Here’s everything you need to know about our Postcard dimensions.
Postcard dimensions: a handy guide
You should take the following elements into account when choosing your Postcard size and creating your designs:
- Postcard safe area: this is where you should put the key elements of your design. Make sure text and logos are inside the safe area to avoid the chop.
- Postcard trimming area: this is where your cards will be cut and corresponds to your Postcard’s measurements.
- Postcard bleed area: this is the printing that goes beyond where the edges will be trimmed off. Make sure your background extends to fill the Postcard’s bleed area to avoid unaesthetic white edges.
Click here to find out more about Postcard design guidelines.
What is the standard Postcard size?
The standard Postcard size is agreed to be A6, which is 105 x 148mm. It’s the most cost-effective size, perfect for budget-friendly mailing campaigns.
What’s the best Postcard size for me?
When thinking about your Postcards’ measurements, consider what you’ll be using them for and whether you’ll be distributing or posting them. Your Postcard design is also important: are there many details? Do you need to fit a lot of text? Sometimes it’s good to go bigger – or smaller!
Small A6 Postcards
Our smallest Postcard size. They might be tiny, but they’re also perfect for big ideas. Choose this size if you don’t need to fit a lot of copy on the design. For example, Small Postcards are a great canvas for specific offers and discounts or for a little thank you note to slip into your packaging.
- Postcard size in millimeters: 105mm x 148mm
- Postcard size in inches: 4.13″ x 5.82″
- Postcard size in pixels: If you’re uploading non-vector designs, please make sure they are no less than 575 x 412 pixels at 96dpi or ideally sized at 1794 x 1287 pixels at 300dpi..
Show off your creativity with this original format. More artsy than traditional Postcard formats, Square Postcards are perfect for creatives. They have that “Instagram” feel, and are a great way to promote your social media.
- Postcard size in millimeters: 120mm x 120mm
- Postcard size in inches: 4.72″x 4.72″
- Postcard size in pixels: If you’re uploading non-vector designs, the ideal size is 1464 x 1464 pixels at 300dpi..
This ever-popular Postcard format looks great on display. These Long Postcards are the perfect format for menus and beauty treatment lists.
- Postcard size in millimeters: 99mm x 210mm
- Postcard size in inches: 3.89″ x 8.26″
- Postcard size in pixels: If you are uploading non-vector designs, the ideal size is 2528 x 1917 pixels at 300dpi.
Medium Postcards are far from average. A little bit bigger than the standard Postcard, they leave more room for your creativity.
- Postcard size in millimeters: 127mm x 177.8mm
- Postcard size in inches: 5″ x 7″
- Postcard size in pixels: If you’re uploading non-vector designs, please make sure they are no less than 513 x 369 pixels at 96dpi or ideally sized at 2138 x 1538 pixels at 300dpi.
Don’t let the half size fool you. A5 Postcards have plenty of room to showcase your brand or your art.
- Postcard size in millimeters: 148mm x 210mm
- Postcard size in inches: 5.82″ x 8.26″
- Postcard size in pixels: If you’re uploading non-vector designs, the ideal size is 2528 x 1795 pixels at 300dpi.
Ready to get started? Create your very own Postcards with MOO.
Keep in touch
Get design inspiration, business tips and special offers straight to your inbox with our MOOsletter, out every two weeks.